Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dungeon di Dungun

After a filling dinner at nine,
I took an infrequent route home,
in the darkness near where Jalan Kenanga
and Jalan Melati intersect near the padang
not far from the graveyard facing the sea,
I spotted a remembered big bungalow
used to be filled with people
who scurried in the background
while only mama or papa talked with me;
the papa has been long gone
the mama carrying dem rich men's burden
her will to live bending under
no matter her adult children spending filial cash
paying RM180 for a 500 gm tin of colostrum
RM20 for a capsule of powdered egg yolk
with a bio-enhancing name such as ProforLife
or somethin' - but tonight,
the mansion-like house where
the late Cikgu Mang used to live
is in darkness with only the street lights
giving its silhouette a Gothic cast;
Where are the people gone?
I drove past with the songs
coming off the car stereo tugging me
from mundane matters
into an endorphin-stirred state;
I rounded a bend to head to the open sea
but my progress was halted by an unusual
congestion of cars parked both sides with
more cars and people in the middle of the road;
I almost instantly understood the urgency of the night -
someone had died earlier in the day
and must be buried without delay;
I turned off the loud stereo,
wound down the window
and asked a passerby: "Sapa?"
"Bini Wang Peng!"
I didn't know either from Chin Peng
but must be someone of clout
judging from the huge turnout;
I drove on without further ado
turning into the long and straight Jalan Pantai
with the moonlit sea on my immediate left;
I switched on the stereo again -
Timberlake, Akorn, Green-eyed Peas
took turns to put my mind at peace;
I went past the junction to my place
and drove on to the end of Jalan Pantai
near the UITM Dungun campus
where a nice spot to relax is and I did
for two or three more songs before
starting back to my almost finished new house -
Dungeon di Dungun.

5 comments:

Nazlina said...

I like this one.. reminded me of my grandma's funeral, she was bedridden for many years. Her children bought special milk, made special bathroom etc to make her life easier.

I wrote this page as a tribute to her:
http://www.penangheritagecity.com/malay-funeral.html

My grandfather, on the other hand, said many times, if he were to die, he wanted to die quickly, without long suffering.. he got his wish.. heart attack one late afternoon and he was gone by Isyak at the hospital on the same night.

(But before that he spent several sessions staying at the hospital.. the last one caused him to denounce cigarettes for good!)

I know Dungun a bit, used to ferry people from the airport to Dungun who wanted to go to Tenggol. Stayed one time at the hotel managed by the UiTM students.. my third sister studied there too, every time complaining what a dead place that town was.. with only Pasaraya Salwa to break their boredom. Funny thing was, their hostel was an old bungalow where my husband used to live when he was a kid!

WordWalker said...

Dungun has a split personality. One is a zombie, the other a taliban; many are dark-skinned and swarthy, but no less are kuning langsat with narrow-bridged noses! No tradition of performing arts or sports performance here. A lot of youths on motorbikes around and old men playing Malay checkers. Lately an overflow of Petronas executives from Paka and Kertih has taken up residence here and hence the surfeit of new bungalows sprouting up.

Pady Rfad said...

hi zar..nice to read your bloggs again..l studied in itm dungun in my younger days..love the place, but l haven't been there for almost 30yrs now..wonder how it progress and develop into now..plan to go an visit dungun and organise a reunion there soon..but anyway nice of you to write about it..it caught my curiousity...lol..hope to read and hear from you again old friend..

best rgrds
pady

WordWalker said...

Ah, my good, old friend Paddy! When you do come to Dungun let me know and we can meet over a cup of tea at the local kopitiam!

cz said...

i was there last week and i saw you nowhere.where have you been uncle?I thought you was at KL.

I Miss Dungun so very Much. Upload the picture of your house. I would love to pay a visit one day.