Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Thing Pops Into My Head

The thing that pops into my head,
Often I dismiss it almost at once,
Often with the recital of a handsmedown prayer,
Sometimes I let it linger a while,
Savoring its evil,
But NAW ... it gnaws ... and gnaws ...
Am I sick that it pops into my head,
Am I weak that I let it linger
And ever briefly identifies with it?
What if it is a recurring thing?
What if it is a lifetime thing?
Am I sick to the pits, alone,
Or shares the sickness with the rest of humanity?
With the difference between I and
Those who end up in the news,
Only a thin line over which I didn't cross?
Has it got something to do with brain chemistry,
Or is it a spiritual challenge,
To fashion your forming soul,
An adversary to pit your character against,
An exercise to build your identity,
A resistance to carve your destiny?
Yes, gentle reader, you guessed
The thing that pops into my head -
Negative thoughts.

2 comments:

Nazlina said...

I attended a short two day seminar called Millionaire Mind Intensive about a year ago, one of the few things which made an impression to me was that.. the mind is designed to "protect" you.

It will keep on telling you to NOT do things because of bla, bla, bla. So during that seminar we were taught to tell all these negative thoughts: "Thanks for sharing" and then move on. But of course many times I would forget this advice :P

Unknown said...

Google this book: A Mind Of Its Own - How the Mind Distorts and Deceives by Cordelia Fine.